Michael P. Lyons
Founding PartnerDownload vCard
Michael Lyons is one of the founding partners of Lyons & Simmons and concentrates his practice on complex civil litigation, representing plaintiffs and defendants. Lyons has a reputation for achieving outstanding results for his clients by displaying a mastery of the facts and law while utilizing creativity, tenacity and cutting edge technology.
Lyons has represented individuals, small businesses, and Fortune 1000 corporations in a diverse array of civil litigation matters in Texas and across the country.
He has tried cases before juries, judges and arbitrators involving complex business disputes, wrongful death, catastrophic personal injuries, construction defects, professional liability and product liability. Lyons has handled a wide array of complex products liability cases ranging from automotive design and manufacturing defect claims to complex aviation cases involving airplane and helicopter disasters.
Lyons has recovered hundreds of millions in judgments and settlements on behalf of his clients and successfully defended complex business and tort cases where his clients were being sued for hundreds of millions of dollars.
Lyons has earned the respect of his peers through tireless efforts to help his clients. He has been recognized on the Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers listing (2005, 2008-2019), including being selected among the Top 100 attorneys in Dallas/Fort Worth (2018-2019.) was honored as a “Best Lawyer in Dallas under 40” by D Magazine in 2005, and a “Best Lawyer in Dallas” by D Magazine in 2011, 2013, 2015-2017 and 2019. Lyons has been recognized as a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums, was named a Lifetime Achievement member of America’s Top 100 Attorneys for Texas and was named among America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators in North Texas for 2017-2019. He has attained an AV® Preeminent™ peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence based upon peer review evaluation from lawyers and judges who have observed his legal skill and ethical standards.
In addition to pursuing outstanding results on behalf of clients, Lyons has invested significant time in service of his community as a leader within the Dallas Bar Association. Lyons has served as a member for the Courthouse Committee, Law in the Schools and Community Committee, and Bench Bar Committee for the Dallas Bar Association. He is a current Co-Chair for the Judiciary Committee and past chair for the Law Day Committee for the Dallas Bar Association. In 2015, Lyons became a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. In 2010, he was elected as a Fellow of the Dallas Bar Foundation, and in 2008 Lyons was recognized by Dallas CBS affiliate KTVT Channel 11 as a "Texan with Character" for his philanthropic work in the Dallas – Fort Worth Metroplex with children who were victims of abuse or neglect.
Areas of Practice
- Business Disputes and Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Wrongful Death
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- New Mexico
South Texas College of Law
- J.D. cum laude - 1999
- Honors: Order of the Lytae
- Law Review: Corporate Counsel Review, Assistant Editor
The University of Texas
- B.A. - 1995
- Obtained a $2.5MM judgment in representation of publicly traded company where physician group sued for $2.6MM+ over alleged breach of management agreement. All claims were dismissed by the physician group and a judgment was awarded for the defendant company plus attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained a successful settlement in complex business tort case involving $500 million in alleged damages involving large aviation manufacturer and claims of breach of fiduciary duty, aiding and abetting, and conspiracy.
- Representation of hundreds of investors in complex securities action involving oil and gas investor scam resulting in $21.5MM disgorgement order obtained by the Securities and Exchange Commission against the perpetrators and the investor clients receiving a collective 60% interest in the oil and gas company after the perpetrators were removed through successful appointment of a Ch. 11 Trustee.
- Obtained a $2MM judgment against large, international insurance stemming from improper denial of UIM claim involving wrongful death victim.
- Lead Plaintiffs’ counsel in a multi-party commercial construction defect case involving large national general contractor, and complex engineering and design defect allegations. Resulted in a high value settlement and one of the “Largest Texas Settlements” reported by Verdict Search in 2013.
- Obtained defense verdict after 3 week trial in electrocution case against property owner involving apartment complex electrical systems.
- Representation of brain injury victim stemming from intoxicated and distracted driver of a commercial truck. Multi-million dollar settlement obtained.
- Representation of the family of wrongful death victim involving negligent entrustment, hiring, retention and training. Multi-million dollar settlement obtained.
- Successful defense of consumer electronics manufacturer in triple fatality residential structure fire involving multiple deaths.
- Successful defense of product sourcing and retail defendant in residential house fire involving multiple children who sustained catastrophic burn injuries.
- Member of trial team involving multiple pharmaceutical product liability claims for multinational, Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company in various venues throughout Texas and the United States; Trial co-counsel involving alleged marketing and design defect allegations in multiple trials lasting several weeks to several months.
- Following trial, obtained a substantial judgment for plaintiff surety in complex construction lien dispute between two national construction bond insurers.
- "Character Evidence, Subsequent Remedial Measures, and Offers of Settlement", How to Offer and Exclude Evidence, University of Houston CLE Program, 2008
- "Conduct, Character and Remedial Measures–The Article IV Rules of Evidence", Advanced Evidence and Discovery, University of Houston CLE Program, 2008
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America (2019, 2020)
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (2011, 2013, 2015-2017, 2019)
- Texas Super Lawyers, Top 100 Dallas/Fort Worth (2018-2019)
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters (2013-2019)
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Texas (2005, 2008-2013)
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40”, D Magazine (2005)
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Top 100 Lawyers in America, Lifetime Achievement Member
- Top 100 High Stakes Litigators in America for North Texas
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Texas Exes, Dallas Chapter, Board of Directors, 2001 – 2007
- The Chancellor’s Council of The University of Texas System, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member
Dallas Bar Association, Member
- Law in the Schools & Community Committee, Member
- Bench Bar Committee, Member
- Law Day Committee, Chair
- Judiciary Committee, Co-Chair
- Member of the College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Allied Attorney Membership
- American Association of Justice, Leadership Forum Member
- North American Brain Injury Society, Member
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®, Member